Thursday, September 17, 2009

Diagnostic Essay: Maine-ly Great


Photo courtesy of Chelsie Darling Photography



Brandon Collins
English 111-63
My Favorite Vacation
26 August 2009

The most enjoyable vacation I’ve ever had was my recent trip to the beautiful state of Maine. My girlfriend, Chelsie, and I began the twelve hour trek early on a Friday morning. As we pulled into her grandparents’ driveway late that afternoon, I was amazed by the sheer magnificence of my surroundings. We spent two days there and continued our summer retreat at a house on Square Pond in the southeast of Maine. For the next several days we would eat, drink, and relax like royalty.

In the small town of Wells, Maine, sits a charming country home surrounded by thirty acres of lush forest. Built mostly by Chelsie’s grandfather, it was constructed on the perfect setting. There is a pond in the front yard that yields a fish with nearly every cast, as I would learn firsthand. Through the woods snake miles of trails on which we rode four-wheelers until we were sore. One afternoon, under a light gray sky, I set out for a short ride through the winding, muddy trails. Unexpectedly, that gray sky turned into a refreshing deluge of rain. After making my way back to the house to dry off, I got ready to head to the lake the next day.

Square Pond is a 910 acre lake enveloped by cozy cottages and 100 year old trees. The house we stayed in was a rustic three story home with lots of natural wood inside and a stunning view of the lake. We made good use of the keg-fed beer tap built into the kitchen bar. The back yard slopes down to a nice beach along with plenty of water toys. When we weren’t fishing or tubing behind the boat, we were jumping off the floating trampoline or just laying in the sun. I can’t remember a single moment when there wasn’t something fun or relaxing for me to do.

Fishing is an absolute top five on my list of favorite things to do, so naturally, that’s how I spent a good portion of my time. Early most mornings, the guys would take the boat and troll around the lake hoping for a nice trout. We caught mostly perch and bass, but something is better than nothing. In the afternoons, I would hunt for crayfish hiding in the rocks around the boat dock. Using my recent catch for bait, I fished from the end of the pier during the cool evenings with a frosty beer in hand. There are very few things I can think of that make me happier than that.

Looking back on this trip, I can easily say it was my favorite. Some people would rather go to Disney World or skiing in Colorado, but to me, this was paradise. Spending a week four-wheeling, fishing, and just relaxing by the lake tops my list. With good friends, food, and drink, even the idle times were enjoyable during that week. Although I cannot know for sure what future endeavors may outshine my escape to the peaceful state of Maine, I’m certain that it’s number one for the time being.

1 comment:

  1. Maine is awesome. If you haven't been to Acadia National Park, go. The craggy Maine coast is amazing.

    ReplyDelete